Attorney To Get Your Divorce Judgment Modified

Following your divorce or paternity judgment, you may be comfortable meeting the terms of the court order. But as time move along, making the monthly payments of child support or spousal maintenance may be getting more difficult. If the financial obligations have become too difficult, Missouri and Kansas law make it possible to file a petition to modify your judgment through the courts.

I am Kansas and Missouri family law attorney Craig Divine of the Divine Law Office, LLC. The process for modifying your original divorce or paternity order is complicated and requires evidence of need. I will review the circumstances of your case and explain the process. If I can help you, I will prepare all the required documents and move your petition through the legal process as efficiently as possible. If my experience tells me you do not have a valid case for modification, I will tell you so honestly, without charging you a nickel.

What Post-Judgment Modifications Are Possible?

In general, divorce property settlements are unchangeable unless you can demonstrate there was fraud regarding your spouse reporting financial assets. Provisions that can be modified under certain conditions include:

  • Child custody: Under certain conditions when the custodial parent proves unfit or unable to provide a safe environment, it may be necessary to reverse the original custody order. This may require termination of parental rights, as well.
  • Child support: You will be required to demonstrate that the financial conditions of both parents have changed significantly.
  • Spousal support, alimony: If you can demonstrate that the obligee (spouse receiving alimony) has made a substantial change in financial circumstances or has begun receiving support from another party, you may petition to lower your support amount.
  • Custodial child relocation: If you are the custodial parent of a child and need to move out of the geographic area permitted in your original custody judgment, you may petition the court for a relocation approval. This will generally require approval from the noncustodial parent, as well.

Why Not Work Out An Informal Agreement?

Many divorced couples decide between themselves to make changes in the original divorce judgment. This is not a good idea because you will have nothing to fall back on legally in the event a problem develops in the future. It cannot be stressed enough that hiring a lawyer to obtain a formal modification is your best strategy for getting legal protection of the court, in the event of a dispute.

Contact Me For A Free Consultation

Send an email or contact my office in Kansas City by calling 816-379-3929 or toll free 800-636-8027 to arrange a free initial consultation.