If you need to find a lawyer in Kansas City due to involvement in a car accident, Craig Divine of Divine Law, LLC can help! It’s important to know what to do after you’ve been in a car accident.
The Insurance Information Institute (III), and the Kansas Bar Association (KBA) recommend these immediate steps after an accident:
1. CHECK YOURSELF AND OTHERS FOR INJURIES: Call 9-1-1 if anyone is hurt.
2. GET TO SAFETY: If possible, move your vehicle out of traffic. If you cannot and your car isn’t moveable, get yourself to safety.
3. CALL 911: Some states require you to call the police if you are in a car accident. It’s also important because you will need a police report for your insurance claim and any possible legal action to follow.
4. WAIT FOR HELP: Turn on your hazard lights and use road flares if you have them, to warn other vehicles.
5. EXCHANGE INFORMATION WITH THE OTHER DRIVER: You will need contact and insurance information including full name, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license and license plate number, type, color and model of vehicle, and the location of the accident. Kansas law requires the other driver to provide their information when asked, and leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. The same is true in Missouri.
6. DO NOT DISCUSS FAULT WITH THE OTHER DRIVER: Even if you think you caused the accident, you do not want to admit fault. Insurance adjusters will use the police report and other information to determine fault.
7. DOCUMENT THE ACCIDENT: Identify the officers by name and badge number. Get a copy of the accident report. You will have to do that later, but you can ask the officers where and how to acquire it. Take pictures from several angles. Take down the names and numbers of passengers in the other vehicle and any witnesses.
8. NOTIFY YOUR INSURER AND START THE CLAIMS PROCESS:
You may want to call your insurance agent while you’re at the scene to find out what you need to do.
9. FIND A LAWYER IN KANSAS CITY: If you or your passengers have been injured, or if you have injured someone else, you need a lawyer to protect your rights. Craig Divine
has the expertise and experience to ensure that you get a fair deal from the insurance company.
Even a small fender-bender can cause serious injuries, some of which may not be noticed immediately. In the aftermath of a car accident, adrenaline is high and you may be too concerned about others to notice your own injuries or pain. If you are injured, at fault or facing criminal charges due to your involvement in a car accident, you need to find a lawyer in Kansas City who has the knowledge to fight for your rights and your driving privileges.
If you’ve been in a wreck, take the steps above first to ensure that everyone is safe and you have the information you need. Then, contact the Divine Law Office, LLC for a free consultation. Our team will treat you with the compassion and respect you deserve. Most importantly, do not sign anything from your insurance company without first speaking to an attorney. Call us at 816.474.2240 or use our online contact form
. We serve clients in the Greater Kansas City Metro, as well as Jackson, Johnson, Wyandotte, Clay and Platte counties. Someone will get back to you quickly.