A Personal Injury Lawyer should be consulted right away following an accident that resulted in injury. An attorney can help injured victims or their families recover financial compensation for such things as medical expenses, lost earnings, pain, and suffering. When you are involved in an accident, even if you think you are not hurt or there aren’t any damages, there are a few key things you need to do to make sure you are protected.
With any type of accident, while you need to gather the facts in the case, it’s important to limit your conversations with people. You should only talk about the accident with the police, medical professionals and your insurance representative. There are several things that must be done as soon as possible if the injured person is able, including the following:
- Call The Police: Even minor accidents warrant a call to the police, who will arrive at the scene and take control. They will investigate the accident, take statements from the involved parties and any witnesses, and file a report.
- Seek Medical Attention: The severity of injuries is not always obvious in the immediate aftermath of an accident. In fact, some symptoms may not be apparent for several weeks or even a few months. Even if injuries appear to be minor, it’s important to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible.
- Take Pictures. If you have a cell phone with a camera, immediately take photographs to record the dangerous conditions before anything changes.
- Gather Evidence. Talk to everyone who observed the accident and get their contact information. Also, gather and secure any items of evidence, such as clothing, shoes, etc., and keep it in the same condition (do not wash or clean anything) then store it in a safe place.
- Preserve Medical and Expense Records. Obtain copies of medical records from emergency transport services, treating doctors, records of procedures performed, and receipts for prescription medications or out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- File or Obtain Report. Depending on where the accident occurs, report the accident to the property owner, security personnel or police. Obtain copies of any reports that were filed as soon as possible.
- Do Not Sign Anything. Property owners and insurance companies may make a settlement offer out of court. You must not accept any agreement or sign any paperwork that releases the property owner from liability without consulting with an attorney first.
- Contact A Personal Injury Lawyer: An attorney specializing in personal injury cases will protect your rights from the very first moment and will negotiate with the insurance company, opposing lawyers and the courts in order to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Personal Injury Lawyer Handles Accident Cases
Accident victims may be eligible for financial compensation for injuries sustained in an accident that was caused by another person or entity. However, the burden of proof lies with the injured party, who must be able to prove they were injured before filing a claim for compensation. Therefore, contacting a personal injury lawyer is crucial to proving your case.
Personal Injury Lawyer Craig M. Divine
Craig Divine, an experienced personal injury lawyer, has successfully represented clients in personal injury insurance claims. He is an accomplished trial lawyer representing clients in Kansas City, MO, Kansas City, KS, Johnson County and Wyandotte County in Kansas and Jackson, Platte, Clay and Cass counties in Missouri. Contact Attorney Craig M. Divine and schedule a free consultation today!