Do you need a personal injury lawyer in Kansas City due to injuries suffered in a vehicle accident? Craig Divine of the Divine Law Office, LLC has years of experience handling personal injury cases. He can help you get compensation for your injuries, lost income, and property damage from the accident.
If you’ve been in an accident, you’re not alone. Accidents happen every day, all over the United States. In fact, according to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in 2019 (the most recent year for which data is available) 2.74 million Americans were injured in vehicle accidents, and nearly 37,000 were killed. Even if you are a safe driver, it’s likely you’ll be in a car accident sometime in your life. That’s why it’s so important to know what to do when an accident occurs.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) and the Missouri Department of Revenue recommend that you take these steps immediately following any vehicle accident:
- Call 911 to report the accident: You will need a police report for your insurance claim and any future legal action.
- Do not leave the scene: Leaving the scene of a vehicle accident, no matter how minor, is a crime.
- See if anyone is injured: Check yourself and your passengers for injuries, and check with the other driver if you can safely do so. Call 9-1-1 if anyone is hurt.
- Get to safety: Move your vehicle out of traffic if you can. Missouri’s “Steer it Clear” law requires you to do this if it is possible and safe to do so. If your vehicle cannot be moved, get yourself and your passengers to a safe place.
- Exchange information with the other driver: You will need contact and insurance information including full name, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license and license plate number, type, color and model of vehicle, and the location of the accident. Missouri law requires the other driver to provide their information. Do not discuss fault with the other driver.
- Document as much as you can: Get the names and badge numbers of responding officers, and ask them how to get a copy of the accident report. Take pictures from multiple angles. If possible, note the names and numbers of passengers and any witnesses.
- Notify your insurance company and file a claim: No matter what, do not admit fault or sign anything from your insurance company without first speaking to an attorney.
- Find a personal injury lawyer in Kansas City: If you or your passengers have been injured, you need a lawyer.
No one wants to go through the frightening and painful experience of a car accident. But even if you’re careful, it can happen to you. Knowing what to do and whom to call can help make the experience easier to bear. If you need a personal injury lawyer in Kansas City, contact Craig Divine at the Divine Law Office, LLC at (816) 474-2240 for a free consultation. Craig will handle you and your case with compassion and respect. Do not sign anything from the insurance company until you talk to a lawyer! We can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and financial losses. If you’ve been in an accident, don’t wait! Call us today.